Tuesday, January 25, 2011

God Permits Suffering: We Are To Focus On Blessings

I am struggling to find work, status, and a relationship. It is so humiliating and painful for me. I consider it to be a great adversity. I think that I finally understand the purpose of suffering in general.

These verses are from Job 35.

9 By reason of the multitude of oppressions they make [the oppressed] to cry: they cry out by reason of the arm of the mighty.
10 But none saith, Where [is] God my maker, who giveth songs in the night;
11 Who teacheth us more than the beasts of the earth, and maketh us wiser than the fowls of heaven?

In those chapters, Elihu corrected Job, saying that Job needed to adjust his attitude. Elihu's comments were not about Job's attitude before the adversity. It was about Job's attitude during the adversity. In other words, Elihu says that we need to remember God's blessings during our adversity instead of focusing on the negatives.

This seems meaningful to me. We ought not be pitiful people who ask, Yeah, but what do I get out of it?. After all, God sends rain on the good and the evil. The rain is a figurative curse and a literal blessing for both good and evil. We should really take that to heart, and then praise God for the benefits of rain, even when we get too much of it. In my personal situation, I should tell people about my current sufferings, and then mention the great times that I have had in life.

3 comments:

  1. This advice is more difficult to follow than it is to say, right... I do find comfort that our current dwelling is only a temporary ('tent') -- something so much better to look forward to. God be with you. Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it is difficult to follow. I want to write a story involving this concept, and the characters will have to resist the idea, otherwise it will seem too fake. I think that it literally takes practise too. I think that we need to think our way through it, and speak of God's goodness slowly, at first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The calling of the Christian is to a disciplined life. Therein lies the Key of our Salvation. With help of His Spirit we can control our Actions, our Speech, and our Thoughts:

    "Phil 4:8
    8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honorable, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."
    ASV

    ReplyDelete