Monday, September 8, 2014

Dish Pit Update: Out With Old Antagonist; In With New Antagonist

In this post, I shared some details about a coworker leaving, and another becoming antagonistic. I tried to get advice from my Facebook friends. The rest of my post tells you all.

[I need your advice again. If you're pressed for time, then skip to the second section.]

Old Antagonist

An interesting thing happened about 2-3 weeks ago. We have 2 first cooks, and 1 of them quit. He got a good talking to by 1 of the new guys, and this first cook just took his hat off and walked away without saying anything. The new guy basically told the first cook how unpleasant he was to work with. Nobody liked this first cook. The first cook got to be where he was, only because he ran the system well. Other than the fact that this first cook was my antagonist, I heard the rest of the information through word of mouth.

So, through no intervention on my part, my antagonist just disappeared.

A coworker brought up a good point, in that this antagonist was the only person who would offer the occasional free dessert. That being said, this was not enough to win him any friends or supporters.

New Antagonist

In the meantime, I have found that another coworker has started rubbing me the wrong way. Unfortunately, this new antagonist is a fellow dishwasher, and we share the job on Saturdays. He is very closed when it comes to training, or even when it comes to letting me pass on requests. He goes so far as to try to verbally push me out of the way, because I seem to be too slow for him.

I feel like stepping out of the way, and letting him do it all himself. We have to pick our battles, right? Stepping away from it all would suit the restaurant fine, despite what they might say. Also, I think that I should focus on developing my washing skills.

1 problem that he has is that he seems to have no regard for proper procedure, and I feel that he is doing a bad job, so I hesitate to hand him control of the dish washing machine.

Another problem is that management will give orders, but never enforce them. A good example of this is the dishwashing fluids needing to be changed every 2 hours of regular use, but 2 or more guys never change them the entire shift [i.e.: 6-7 hours].

Just ignoring these problems has the benefit of me being more consistent, because I find that everybody wants to do a fast job during the later hours of the evening. I wouldn't try to boss them around since they have more seniority, so I shouldn't be hard on the other guy, right?

Some might say that If there are any problems, then it should be between him, the restaurant, the government, and the customers. However, ignoring all of the problems seems very unethical, but it does seem like the kitchen does encourage ignoring. Ultimately, I'd like to be able to get him to put more effort into a good job, and to not speak down on me. However, I think that I need to find a way of keeping myself busy and not letting him bother me.

What do you think that I should do?

The end. Thank you for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment