Monday, July 26, 2010

Almost Last Lulu.com ODF Template Is Uploaded

I finished making and uploading the last Lulu.com template that corresponds to Lulu.com's current offerings. I must say that it was a little anti-climactic. I don't know why, but I thought that it would almost be like...well, I don't know.

The reason that it wasn't the last Lulu.com template, is because we will need more than what Lulu.com offered. Keep reading to see what the future holds for the Lulu.com set of ODF templates.

I'd like to create 1 raw drawing page for each of the book sizes. The idea is that you might want to make a comic book, or children's book, with full bleed. The main focus in that situation is the art and image. Wouldn't you rather have a raw page ready to go, so that you don't have to enlarge a blank sheet every time you start a new project or section?

My overall goal is to have you be able to download 3 things.

  • a raw cover [which is exactly what is available]
  • a raw drawing page
  • a standard book page [which is what is available]

On first thought, it seems so easy to make an empty page, with a few lines in it. After all, I'm in charge of it, and since an ISO 217 ODF template is relatively new, I could almost make it however I want.

Unfortunately, most Canadians don't get the opportunity to use ISO shaped paper, so I'm doing this blind. I don't know what the "correct" margins are. So, on second thought, this is beginning to look a lot harder than I might have guessed. I know what the document sizes are for ISO 216 & 217, so I should be able to do the math, and get the trim sizes, but I'm not sure about the remainder of the margin. I suppose that it wouldn't matter, because users should be able to adjust accordingly. But still, I'd like to have the most common and standardized margins, so that we don't have people producing documents incorrectly, and/or the majority of people changing paper sizes for normal use. Those outcomes would give the open source community and ODF a bad name.

Therefore, dear reader, I'd like to tap into the wealth of your knowledge. I'm calling on you to do your part to volunteer for the community. You just need to give brief answer to these 2 questions below.

Would you please tell me what these paper sizes are used for? Feel free to reply anonymously. Even if you just tell me about 1 of them, then I'll still be grateful.

  • A9
  • A10

Would you please tell me what the typical margins are for these paper sizes? Feel free to reply anonymously. Even if you just tell me about 1 or 2 of them, then I'll still be grateful.

  • A0
  • A1
  • A2
  • A3
  • A4
  • A5
  • A6
  • A7
  • A8
  • A9
  • A10

No comments:

Post a Comment