Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Book Review: "Dust"

I finished reading the first 3 chapters of Dust. Read the remainder of the blog entry for my opinion.

1 thing that I didn't like about it was the protagonist's values. I find that if the protagonist doesn't live up to a higher standard, then I disrespect the author(s) and the character(s). In this story, the protagonist is a zombie who has to align herself with other zombies, who live in gangs, complete with peer pressure and arrogance. If the author tried to show the protagonist trying to fight the social system, then it wouldn't be as bad, but she didn't.

Also, the author kept writing stuff that didn't make sense. Everything might have made sense, if we could be there to see what was happening, but when the author doesn't explain the locations and their significance very well, then we are left scratching their heads.

I just hate the way that zombies are being made more human these days. It's not being creative or clever. Zombies, by nature ought to be generic, and have only a few simple characteristics. The threat should come from their numbers, and our unfortunate circumstances.

Overall, I say that if you are still interested, then you should wait for the book to arrive at your local libraries, or perhaps get an online version, if available. That being said, even though I won't read the remainder of the book, I am a bit curious about what happens to her. Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment