Thursday, September 2, 2010

KDE Lets You Rename Files In Numbered Order

In this blog entry, I discuss a new discovery that I made, while downloading photos from my camera: you can easily rename many files at once, in consecutive order.

All you do, is select several files at once, and then try to rename them. In my case, I typed F2. You could right click, then select Rename to access the same feature. I was using Dolphin, with Kubuntu 10.04. Experienced computer users should be able to figure it out on their own, from here.

If you're inexperienced with KDE, then just bear in mind, that the number sign in the suggested new name is used to add the numbers to the files.

Another thing to bear in mind is that the suggested name is highlighted, so if you want just numbered files, then you can just delete the text, and be done with it. This means that you can go through the key strokes as if they were a hot-key combination: F2->Del->Enter.

Easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment